Why is worship a regular part of our weekly youth gathering? Worship is so much more than music; if we don’t worship in youth ministry we tell our students that worship is all about music or that worship is something that only happens in “big” church. When we do this, we are screaming to our youth that worship isn’t all that important. Worship is extremely important and here are five reasons why we find it crucial to worship in High School and Junior High every week.
1. To Teach – Worship is a great teaching medium for anyone – youth or adults. We worship each week in youth group because we can teach our youth about theology, the gospel message, our history and tradition all through the act of worship. When we worship with youth in a way that they understand, they begin to put the story of the gospel together, they understand the history and tradition of the church, and finally they begin to understand the great theological concepts that help us articulate our faith.
2. To Model – When we worship, we show our youth how to worship. In almost every youth group is at least one person who hasn’t grown up in a church and doesn’t know what it means to worship. Sometimes our own “church kids” need to know what it means to worship as well. By worshiping in youth group, we show our kids how to worship. What greater reason do we need?
3. To Send the Right Message – When we worship in youth, we send the message that worship is important, that it is meaningful and enriching to our spiritual lives. Yes, this is sort of like modeling in that we are setting the example, but we are most importantly communicating to our youth that worship is significant. Likewise, when we don’t worship on a regular basis at youth we’re sending the message that worship isn’t important, or that worship only happens in “big” church.
4. To Worship as Community – Youth ministry is very much a community within a community, and worship is vital to the health of any Christian community. When we worship together, we strengthen the community and we express to God our thanks for all that he has done for us as a community. We also struggle together in community with difficult passages of scripture and cry out to God together as a community when we are experiencing difficult times. There is no better way to strengthen the community of your youth group than by worshiping together.
5. Simply To Worship – What other reason do we need other than simply to worship? We serve an awesome God who created us, and redeemed us by saving us from our sin. We should take every opportunity to worship so we can allow God to speak into our lives and so we can give God praise and thanksgiving for all that he has done for us.
So, I want to challenge you to check out what we are doing in Youth Ministry when it comes to worship and understand why we make worship a regular part of our weekly schedule. Some of the best worship experiences I’ve had happened with young people pouring their hearts and talents out to God. Come experience worship with us sometime and catch a glimpse into what God has called us to.
We worship each week in youth group because we can teach our youth about theology, the gospel message, our history and tradition all through the act of worship.”
"It was incredible to see our students go up to strangers that they might normally ignore, and to seek them out to love on them and pray over them.”
"We should take every opportunity to worship so we can allow God to speak into our lives and so we can give God praise and thanksgiving for all that he has done for us.”